Sunday, November 20, 2011

AN ANGEL IN DISGUISE? AND A CONTEST FOR YOU!

When writing THE BODYGUARD, the heroine's four-year-old twins quickly developed their own distinct personalities--one precocious and outspoken, the other quiet and sensitive. But both believed deeply in angels. 

When violence drives them from home and their mom struggles to hide her tears, they wish for an angel for her. Soon after, Mitch comes into their lives. When the twins find feathers on the floor near him, they are convinced he is an angel. 

As further proof, he also has a dog--perhaps crossed with a shaggy, blond bear--who plays gently with the twins but protects them fiercely. They call him Gabe, the angel's dog...


Excerpt from THE BODYGUARD © Genie Gabriel

...Julia soon escaped upstairs with the twins. She settled the children in the turret with a coloring book and crayons. To hide her tears and shame from her children, Julia went in search of the other toys her friend kept in the house for their visits.

"Is the big man downstairs Mommy’s angel?" Abraham whispered.

"Maybe." Angelina leaned against the dog, who had followed them upstairs.

"He doesn’t have wings." Abraham sat beside his sister. "Just really long hair."

"He has to hide his wings so no one knows he’s an angel."

"Oh." Abraham pondered that comment as he rubbed the dog’s ears. "How do we find out for sure?"

"Look for feathers on the floor. In the morning before Mommy’s awake. Okay?"

"Okay," Abraham agreed.


***
Now, I'm not taking sides in a debate of whether or not angels exist. But how can you doubt two kids whose faith is unshakable--even after they are kidnapped--and subtle angel signs that lead to their rescue?

Do you believe in angels? Comment here--and share your own angel experiences if you wish--and be entered in a drawing to win a $25.00 Amazon.com gift certificate on Dec. 10.

12 comments:

  1. I do believe in Angels, living and spiritual, these children are just too precious. When you send your son off in a submarine to patrol our nation's borders, and he comes back safe, you have to believe in Angels. lisagk(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lisa, your comment brought tears to my eyes for both you and your son. So glad he came back safely!

    Thank you for sharing your experience with angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too believe in Angels. When my then 8 year old daughter went into remission from Bone Cancer after a year of chemo and has remained in remission for 13 years and a son in Special Forces who is on his 6th trip to the Middle East I know they exist. I just want to mention something that happened when my daughter had been an in patient for 10 months at the hospital. I had gone to Mass with my older children and praying and when I stood up and turned around to go back to my pew an older couple was standing right in front of me and the woman placed her hand on my arm and said "Don't worry, she'll be fine" I thanked her and started to walk away when I suddenly turned because how did she know what I was praying for and when I turned they were gone. :) I'm sure there would be many explanations but I choose to believe they were Angels because less then 2 weeks later my daughter was in full remission.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe in Spirits for good. I think that Angels are but one name for them.
    Ladystyx @ spatialfrustration.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also believe in Angels :) great post !!!

    reginamayross@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Carol, another story that brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad your daughter is doing well. And your son sounds like a very special and very courageous man. May the angels continue to surround all your family.

    Thank you for sharing your story and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladystyx, Spirits do have much guidance for us, don't they? I think we could have interesting discussions about this!

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Regina! Glad you stopped by to add your vote of "yes" for angels!

    Your name goes in the drawing along with everyone else who has been kind enough to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe in spirits and angels even though I have never physically encountered one. I don't think they do things for you, but rather look out and guide you. It's a feeling more than anything; that everything is going to work out or to simply believe.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Na! Perhaps angels are what/who we need them to be? Some people need a physical presence. Others are very in tune with their intuition and listen to those "inner voices."

    I find the different experiences people have with angels and spirits very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe in angels! There are many times in my life that I know I had to have a angel watching out for me. Just recently I had someone try to rob me and a guy I was with. The guy I was with got shot, but he is okay. christina_92atyahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christy, how scary! Glad both of you are OK. This is definitely a "yes" vote for angels!

    ReplyDelete